Good morning, I am contacting you to inform you about the training stay that UPA Madrid is organizing for the training of farmers at the IMIDRA facilities. The stay will take place in Madrid from July 4 to 8, 2022.
If you are selected, the visit is free, including accommodation, meals and travel both within the activity and on the round trip. Accommodation will be at the IMIDRA Erasmus Center located in Aranjuez, at Finca de la Chimenea.
The course will be taught in both English and Spanish.
The event will take place at the stations of the Madrid Institute for Rural, Agrarian and Food Research and Development (IMIDRA). IMIDRA is an autonomous public research organization that carries out research, development and promotion activities to support agricultural production and its associated industry.
The activities to be carried out are the following:
- Visit to the OLIVICULTURE CENTER:
o Soil erosion tests in woody crops.
o Comparative studies of soil management.
o Super-intensive olive grove trials (planting frameworks, varieties, etc.).
o Fruit tree colection.
- Visit to the GENVCE (Group for the Evaluation of New Varieties of Extensive Crops in Spain):
o Evaluation trials of new varieties of arable crops.
o Legumes and corn trials.
- Visit Finca El Socorro: Vineyard research station where projects are developed:
o Phytosanitary strategies.
o Training and pruning systems.
o Soil management techniques.
o Irrigation techniques.
o Frost protection systems.
o Cultivation techniques.
o Viticultural and oenological evaluation
- Visit Finca El Encin:
o Visit to the Ampelographic Museum and the collection of grapevine varieties, which develops the following activities:
§ Evaluation and identification of varieties.
§ First collection of vines that can be visited with trails accessible to people with reduced mobility.
o Experimental winery:
§ Evaluation trials of the various varieties
§ Fermentation studies of different yeast strains
§ New vinification techniques.
o Accredited wine and oil analysis laboratories
o The oil tasting panel
o Modern vinegar cellar.
o Seed collection (registered in the network of national banks)
- Visit to Finca la Isla, where you will visit:
o For pistachios:
§ First pistachio orchard in the Community of Madrid, with more than 22 years
§ Plantations with 12 years in which irrigation trials are carried out
§ Orchard since 2015, pistachio varieties evaluation plot.
o Experimental trial of table grapes for varietal evaluation.
o Germplasm bank
o Horticultural trials both in soil, in greenhouse on substrate as well as hydroponics.
- Visit to Recespaña. Cooperative from the center, with more than 2000 members and more than 50 years of experience. They produce oils from different varieties, both organic and conventional production.
- Visit to the first winery in producing bottled wines under the Wines of Madrid Denomination of Origin (Bodegas Jesus Díaz e Hijos)
- Visit to the first ecological winery in the Community of Madrid (Bodega Andrés Morate). Andrés Morate farm is also counted as a model farm in which received training stays previously.
In the wineries as well as in the olive oil cooperative, theoretical notions and tasting practices will be given.